Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Simple Creamy Homemade Cottage Cheese

http://healthyintuitions.blogspot.com


In the past, I've enjoyed eating a generous scoop of cottage cheese with my favorite fruits on top as a healthy between meal snack.  But sadly, I discovered that the ingredients of common brand grocery store cottage cheese contained a list of unhealthy ingredients such as:

Cultured Fat Free Milk, Buttermilk, Nonfat Dry Milk, Cream, Salt, Citric Acid , Lactic Acid, Phosphoric Acid, Natural Flavoring, Guar Gum, Mono and Diglycerides, Xanthan Gum, Carob Bean Gum, Titanium, Dioxide (artificial color), Maltodextrin, Cultured Dextrose, Potassium Sorbate, Calcium Chloride and Enzymes

I was stunned after reading the ingredients because I had always thought that cottage cheese was a healthy snack.  I make it a point now to ALWAYS read the labels on any foods I consider buying, and I've suggested that all my readers do the same!

I made this simple creamy delicious cottage cheese with only 3 simple ingredients:

Organic Whole Milk
Organic White Vinegar
Sea Salt

This homemade cottage cheese is the easiest recipe I've ever made!


Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups of organic whole milk
1/4 cup of organic white vinegar
dash of sea salt 

Directions:

1) In large saucepan, combine the milk, vinegar and salt together.  Stir continuously to almost a boil until it begins to curdle.

2) Remove from heat and drain the curds using a cheesecloth or strainer.  Cool to room temperature.  Store in a container and refrigerate.  Makes about 1 cup.  

The end result is a delicious, light and creamy cottage cheese without any harmful ingredients.  Add your choice of fruits, herbs, veggies and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please send your comments to Healthy Intuitions: