SUMMER IS ALMOST HERE!
Some of us don’t have the extra cash to spend $$$ on bronze in a bottle and weren't lucky enough to be born with a deep, bronzed skin tone.
If you want to save money and avoid commercial sunless tanning products, I suggest you learn how to make your own homemade sunless tanning lotion.
You can make them at a fraction of the cost of their store-bought counterparts and you know exactly what is going into them. There are many different options and variations to sunless tanning lotion recipes, but the cocoa powder recipe works the best. I've tried the coffee and tea self-tanning concoctions, but they really don't work that well.
The best part about making your own sunless tanning lotion is that:
- You will avoid the weird orange color that sometimes comes from store-bought products.
- You can customize the exact color you want by changing the recipe up just a little.
- It is less expensive than its store-bought counterpart.
- The recipes contain no harsh chemicals.
My Self-Tanning Lotion only requires two ingredients; unscented organic white lotion and 100% organic cocoa powder.
Organic unscented white lotion
100% organic cocoa powder
- Start out by combining 1/2 cup of unscented white lotion in a bowl with 1/3 cup of pure cocoa powder.
- Use a food processor or blender and mix until smooth.
- Adjust the recipe to match your desired color. The lotion will appear darker in the bowl than it will on your skin. Keep adding a little bit of cocoa powder at a time until you reach your desired shade.
- Smooth the tanning lotion over your entire body evenly.
- Apply daily for a gradual deep tan.
- Store homemade lotion in a Tupperware container or in an empty jar that once held lotion.
- Choose a moisturizing lotion for added benefits.
- Exfoliate before application
The lotion will look very dark when you make it, but it does not show up that darkly on your skin. If you’re afraid to make it too dark, just use the standard 1/2 cup lotion and 1/3 cup cocoa and keep adding layers until it is as dark as you want it. You will be able to see the color as you apply it.
Have you tried an at home self tanner before and seen results? Do you have any other at home remedies that have worked for you? Share your thoughts in the comments below!