This organic baby spinach and mushroom quiche is one of my favorite recipes. You can make it for breakfast, brunch, or even for dinner. Most of us don't have time to make a pie crust from scratch, so I use a Wholly Wholesome Organic 9" pie shell for this recipe. Wholly Wholesome pie shells are delicious and easy to use, and will save you time in the kitchen.
One Wholly Wholesome 9" pie shell
2 T extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion (sliced)
1 1/2 cups Crimini mushroom caps (sliced)
3 cups firmly packed baby spinach (fresh)
1 clove garlic minced (1 tsp)
3 large eggs
3/4 cup coconut milk (almond milk or organic whole milk)
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 cups grated unpasteurized Gruyere cheese (or your choice of cheese)
1. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and saute for 5 minutes.
2. Add mushrooms, cover, and cook 3-4 minutes; stirring occasionally. Stir in baby spinach and garlic; cover and cook 2-3 minutes or until spinach is wilted.
3. Lightly whisk eggs in mixing bowl. Whisk in coconut milk, pepper and salt.
4. Sprinkle 1/4 cup grated cheese over the bottom of pastry shell. Bake at 375 degrees for 2-3 minutes to melt cheese.
5. Pour vegetable mixture in pie shell. Sprinkle with half the remaining cheese. Slowly pour in egg mixture, then top with the rest of the grated cheese.
6. Bake for 40-45 minutes at 375 degrees until golden brown and slightly puffy. Let cool 15 minutes and serve.