Sloppy Joe’s were a staple in my house growing up and my mom had one secret ingredient that makes this recipe taste better than any other Sloppy Joe recipe - One tablespoon of vinegar. I used to make it for my son when he was growing up and he would ask for sloppy joe's quite often. One time I substituted Manwich in place of my usual homemade recipe, and my son refused to eat it. Ever since then I always cook from scratch with nutritious homemade organic ingredients.
1 lb organic, grass fed ground beef
1/4 each onion, green pepper & celery (finely chopped)
1/2 tsp organic garlic (minced)
organic olive oil
1 cup organic ketchup
1 tsp organic yellow mustard
2 tsp coconut palm sugar or organic light brown sugar
1 tbsp organic vinegar
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground mustard
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 cup spring water
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, saute the onions and peppers in a little olive oil for approx 3-4 min.
- Add the ground beef and when 3/4 done, add the garlic.
- Cook the beef until browned and drain if necessary.
- Combine the ketchup, spices and vinegar - pour over meat.
- Turn the heat down to a simmer and let simmer for about 10-15 min, and cover.
- Serve over organic whole-grain wheat buns.
I use all organic ingredients whenever possible, and hope you do too! ☻