Sunday, May 4, 2014

ADHD in Adults - Symptoms and Natural Treatments



I have an interest in ADHD because I had all the symptoms as a child and it has developed into Adult ADHD, which is usually the case. I absolutely refuse to take pharmaceutical medication for the symptoms because of the dangerous side-effects.  I know this first-hand because my son was diagnosed with ADHD when he was about 3 years old.  His pediatrician prescribed Ritalin (a stimulant medication) which made his symptoms much worse.  I have lived with ADHD for 62 years now, and it is not only challenging but extremely disruptive and annoying.

From the perspective of the medical community, they assume that it is genetic, and passed down from one or both parents.  But they also state that it might be acquired if a women smoked or drank too much alcohol while pregnant.

I recently spoke to Ryan, a consultant with the Sedona Wellness Retreat in Arizona, which uses the Gerson therapy to treat people with cancer and other illnesses.  The Sedona consultant stated that ADHD may not be genetic and the symptoms can be minimized with their treatment plan, which costs a whopping $7000 for a two week stay at the retreat!  I don't have that kind of money on hand, and it's not paid by medical insurance.

For anyone who suffers from the debilitating symptoms of adult ADHD like myself, I researched more thoroughly to find some less expensive options to minimize these symptoms with supplements, vitamins, herbal medicines and organic foods.

Symptoms of Adult ADHD:

* Hyperactivity - fidgeting, constant motion, inability to relax.
* Inattention - difficulty completing tasks, maintaining relationships, focusing attention, forgetfulness, misplacement or loss of things, distractibility, and impulsivity.        

The key to the diagnosis of ADHD for an adult is the presence of symptoms before he or she was 7 years old.


Natural Treatments for Adult ADHD Symptoms:

Proper nutrition is essential for ADHD symptoms.  In addition, some specific vitamins, supplements, minerals and herbs help improve these symptoms.  

These are some of the most beneficial supplements, minerals, and herbs to help with the symptoms of ADHD:

1) Omega-3 Fatty Acids (primarily from wild-caught fish)

2) Zinc (regulates brain chemicals)

3) Flax Seed Oil 

4) Krill Oil

5) Ashwagandha (also known as Winter Cherry and Indian Ginseng) soothes and calms down the stressed mind and nerves.  It is a world class herb that is beneficial in a tonic for nerve health, sexual well-being, stress, and insomnia.  

*These incredible 5 additives have helped me personally minimize my symptoms of adult ADHD. I've also learned to cut back on my coffee intake, get more sleep, and try not to worry so much.  I'm praying that in the future there will be a cure for this absolutely aggravating and frustrating illness.



  • Please comment and add your suggestions - I would love to hear from you!


Intuitively Yours,
Laurel ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please send your comments to Healthy Intuitions: