Instead of buying conventional cough drops that are loaded with artificial flavors and toxic substances, you can make some of your own. These cough drops are extremely easy to make, and can also be customized to reflect personal tastes and preferences. I love adding essential oils to my natural remedies. They work with your body’s chemistry to help build up your immune system and help fight the bacteria & viruses causing your symptoms.
Peppermint essential oil contains the volatile oil menthol which helps soothe the bronchial and help eases sore throats. It also has antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, insecticidal, antispasmodic and carminative properties.
How to Make Honey-Lemon Throat Lozenges: The Perfect Remedy for Cough, Throat & Mouth Health
5 ounces raw honey
About 2 tablespoons water
5 drops peppermint essential oil
Zest of one lemon
1. Combine honey, and water in a small saucepan. Heat over a low flame and bring the mixture to a boil.
2. Cover for 4 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and let cool for five minutes.
4. Stir in lemon zest and peppermint essential oil.
5. Use a teaspoon to drop small amounts of the mixture onto the cookie sheet making sure to leave some space between them, because they’ll spread.
6. Allow it to harden. This will take approximately 30 minutes.
7. Let cool for 1/2 hour and store in an air-tight container. Keeps for 3-6 months in dry conditions.