When I was a kid, my mom occasionally served my sister and I frozen Swanson Chicken Pot Pies. My mom usually cooked from scratch except for days when she worked or on a Saturday night out with my father. I never really liked the cardboard taste of these chicken pot pies or any other frozen entrees that I had as a child.
Today I make homemade chicken pot pie with all organic ingredients and it's the perfect comfort food for fall or winter.
There is nothing more satisfying or comforting than warm pot pie fresh out of the oven with its buttery crust, creamy chicken, and vegetable filling! Serve with a small salad or fruit.
6 tablespoons butter
1 small organic onion, minced
2 cloves of organic garlic, minced
2 organic celery stalks, chopped
2 organic carrots, sliced
3 tablespoons organic dried parsley
1 1/2 teaspoons organic dried oregano
2 cups chicken stock
2 organic red baby potatoes, cubed
1 cup organic peas
1 1/2 cups chicken, cut into chunks or diced
3/4 cup heavy cream
5 tablespoons organic flour
salt & pepper, to taste
1 organic frozen pie crust, defrosted
1. In a 3-quart sauce pan over medium heat, melt two tablespoons butter and then add in the onion, carrots, celery, garlic, parsley and oregano. Cook until the vegetables are soft and the onions are slightly translucent.
2. Once the vegetables are soft, add in the 2 cups of chicken stock and cubed potatoes. Allow to cook over medium heat until the stock is bubbling and the potatoes are tender, but not soft. Remove from heat and add in the peas last.
3. While the stock and potatoes are cooking, in a small sauce pan over medium heat melt the remaining four tablespoons of butter, add in the chicken, and 5 tablespoons of flour. Coat the chicken pieces with the flour and butter and allow to cook for one minute. Then add in the cream, mixing until it starts to thicken, remove from heat.
4. Add the chicken/flour mixture to the stock and vegetables, stirring until well-combined and the stock starts to thicken.
5. Using a large glass baking dish, ladle in the chicken pot pie filling. Place the pie crust over the pie filling, and cut slits into the top to allow steam to escape.
6. Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 15 minutes, and then lower the temperature to 350 degrees and cook for an additional 15 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.