Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Bring Home The Bacon & Eat It Too!




Who doesn't love bacon? Although its taste is unbeatable, bacon is not traditionally your best choice for a protein because it's high in fat, calories, sodium and nitrates.  Don't worry bacon lovers - there are a few healthier options out there that still taste great, too!

You best bacon choice is uncured, reduced-sodium center cut bacon. Wait, don't judge it yet - I swear it still tastes just like real bacon.

I made the switch to uncured bacon several years ago to avoid taking in nitrates and nitrites. The research about nitrate is not conclusive (there have been associations between nitrate intake and formation of carcinogens in animal studies) but, for me, the risk is not worth it when there are plenty of good tasting nitrate/nitrite-free items available. I didn't notice any difference in taste, anyone can make this bacon swap without worrying about flavor.

The next change I made was buying center cut bacon because it's lower in fat. I like the center cut because you actually get more meat than fat. It tastes great!

The last change I made was going with a reduced sodium version. This was a small taste adjustment but since I don't tend to use a lot of salt in my diet, it didn't take long for my taste buds to get use to the lower salt bacon. By choosing this healthier version, you save about 100 mg of sodium per serving. It's not a huge amount but every little bit helps, right? It's especially helpful with a product like bacon where it's easy to eat more than one serving (just 2-3 slices).

I suggest visiting a store like Whole Foods to get all three components of an "approved" bacon - uncured, center cut and reduced sodium.  Or find a local Health Food Store or Co Op in your area.  I shop at Lakewinds Health Food Store where I live - Minneapolis, Minnesota.


Intuitively yours,
Laurel ♥


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please send your comments to Healthy Intuitions: