Sulfur additives are toxic and in the United States of America, the FDA have prohibited their use on raw fruits and vegetables. It is the most common man-made preservative. Though originally sulfur dioxide was thought to be safe for consumers, it was later found to be toxic. Sulfur additives are widely used in the food and alcohol industry.
Sulfur dioxide is found in beer, soft drinks, dried fruit, juices, wines, vinegar and potato products.
Health risks include bronchial problems, low blood pressure, tingling sensations and anaphylactic shock. It also destroys vitamin B1 and E.