Saturday, September 19, 2015

How To De-salt Bacon


I recently bought some uncured bacon from my local food co-op meat department because it was on sale.  I cooked a few pieces and ate it with my breakfast, but it was extremely salty for my taste.  I called the butcher department and asked them what I could do to make it less salty and they told me a very simple method that worked perfectly.

It involves giving the bacon a couple of hot water baths. It works with both bits and rashers.

Instructions:

  • First of all, add the bacon to a heat-proof bowl. Pour some freshly boiled water over the bacon till it is well-covered. Give it a stir and let it sit for 2 minutes. 
  • Drain the water off.
  • Repeat this again, this time leaving the bacon in the water for a minute. This should be sufficient to remove the ‘excess’ salt while preserving the taste. When that’s done, rinse and drain the bacon then pat it dry.  

Enjoy your less salty bacon!

Laurel xoxo


3 comments:

  1. Thank you Anna! It's always wonderful to hear from my readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to learn this! We’ve have some really salty bacon lately and know it isn’t good for us. We’re going to try this next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. This works very well.

    ReplyDelete

Please send your comments to Healthy Intuitions: